Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Divinity Lessons

So um, yeah. That Ultimate Prince disk did come out yesterday. For considerable less than what I paid for with the promo last week. Yeah, I feel a bit of a tool... now, of course, but I don't regret trying to scoop that puppy up when I had the chance. I'm all about taking potentially once-in-a-lifetime opportunities when the rare moment presents itself, practically screaming in my face that this is my last chance. Luckily this isn't my last chance to get a refund from the store, since foreseeing this I knew in advance to save the receipt.

I did get the latest release of the original version of The Wicker Man, which also came out yesterday.


I am however deeply bummed that it's still just the 88 minute American version, what with the Neil LaBute remake coming out soon I was hoping for a slightly more definitive package like the one that came out a few years ago in the wooden box (one of my regular customers told me that he had that box and sold it back to us, but I don't ever remember seeing it come through) which is now out of print. Still, it's movies like these that remind me what annoys me about modern day horror films, with the overabundance of stylized graphics that remind myself that some of these directors appear to be more heavily influenced by Marilyn Manson than Herk Harvey. This is a movie that subtly crawls under your skin, and the natural beauty of the landscape, the congenial people, and the cheery Celtic folk ditties that permeate throughout the picture add to the overall air of unsettling menace ( I hear that one of the songs from this movie was even used during a sex scene in the movie Hostel to create that similar feeling, but I haven't seen Hostel yet so I can't say how it went over). So I suppose I'll check out the new version when it finally comes to DVD. As much as I enjoy the original, something tells me I shouldn't spend theater prices just yet to check out how LaBute manhandled it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Excellent Parent said...

the way you talk reminds me of my old boyfreind! He was very into horror movies and a self proclaimed movie critic!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Well I probably wouldn't proclaim myself anything of the sort, really. But I do like to try on the big-shot pants from time to time and throw in some of them high-fallutin' fancy words for good measure, just to make people think I'm more edumacated than I really am. :)

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kinda wanna see it, just 'cause I like Neil LaBute (or, at least, I liked The Shape of Things... am afraid to see In The Company Of Men... did I just manhandle that title? And possibly mix up directors?)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

The Company Of Men was good -- I liked it. I actually enjoyed almost all of LaBute's films in some way or another, although I think he sometimes relies too often on shock tactics, but heck, these days who doesn't. I will see it though, probably when it comes out on DVD, because its LaBute and The Wicker Man. Just the commercials for it that I've seen on TV make it look like some hyperkinetic thriller like so many other modern horror flicks, when what makes the original Wicker Man so unsettling is that its scares rely less on rote Hollywood bump-in-the-night boogins and more on the underlying pyschological as well as theological issues it bring to light. But I'll still interested in seeing what his particular take on the subject will be handled either way.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home