Friday, February 09, 2007

The Gettin's Good

Went to Trilogy today with Joe to buy the newest Strangers In Paradise (3rd to the final issue, fellas) and a couple of Dan DeCarlo-era Archie comix and ran into Lee there picking up some old titles, so we all went out together to Fuddruckers for lunch. Lots of laughs, and great as always to catch up with an old friend, even though I see Lee nearly every other week when he pops into my store but every visit with him is a whirlwind of events and thoughts and wild kinetic chatter that we never got to the last time we spoke. Hard to believe I've known both these boys pretty much my entire adult life. Hard to believe I'm getting one more year closer to forty this month already.

Speaking of which, another early birthday present magically appeared folded up in my wool coat that I always so sloppily toss off to the side when I barge into the house from out of the cold:


Persuasion, one of my all-time favorite romantic movies, the story of a 27-year-old spinster named Anne who back when she was 19 was persuaded not to marry a young sailor named Frederick Wentworth because of his poor family's connections. Now years later he returns from sea a captain and a war hero, and although Anne's intense feelings for him have never diminished, she is completely unsure of how the once-bitten Captain Wentworth still feels about her after all this time. Beautifully, subtly acted by Amanda Root as the practical, sensible Anne and CiarĂ¡n Hinds as the dashing captain that she pines for. I saw this in the theater when it was first released and I still watch my worn-down VHS copy every few months or so, and even though I pretty much have all the dialogue down pat it still sweeps me completely away.

But what's super keen about this edition is that it comes with the actual paperback Austin novel, which, by the way, I have never actually read. Because I'm a Philistine that way. But thank you again anyway, my lovely coat fairy. I think I'll warm up by tucking in with it again tonight.

After I finish all my Archie comics.

1 Comments:

Blogger x said...

Hey man! Good to see Trilogy still in business. I used to ride my bike all the way down Princess Anne just to browse some of the dusty boxes in the corners of the store. Seemed like there was never more than two other people in the store.

Did you see Jandek yet? You're so lucky. I'm in Texas and he finally goes to VA. Go figure. Maybe he'll come out with a phallic-like guitar and throw down a cover of "Kiss". Hah!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home