Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Not (Quite) The Residents



A peculiar lot these Caroliner folks be.

Or Caroliner Rainbow. Or Caroliner Rainbow Open Wound Corale. Or Caroliner Rainbow Susans & Bruisins. Or Caroliner Rainbow Customary Relaxation Of The Shale. Or whatever suffix you might chose to attach, I suppose. Or not. Caroliner seems to have been around for quite awhile as an arty San Francisco psychedelic free-bluegrass outfit (complete with their own, er, outfits) who claim to channel their music straight from the spirit of a semi-famous 19th century singing bull of the same name as well as put out albums with covers created out the garbage that they find in the streets of their city, some of which are even too unspeakably filthy to touch.

When I showed this clip to Joe he instantly rolled his eyes and said that they reminded him of about half the gimmicky art-rock bands that he booked back in the 90's. But I gotta admit, I kinda dig it. Seems to me more the you-kind-of-have-to-be-there kind of act where the combination of the cacophony coupled with the retina-scalding day-glo light display can be fully taken in and appreciated. Kind of like my bedroom back in the early 80's when I used to shop a lot at Spencer's Gifts.

Enjoy the violence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home