Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Glittery Stormtrooper Helmet? Really?

Joe told me once that back in 1993 there was this mysterious professional wrestler who went by the name "The Shockmaster" that no one had ever seen yet but was being hyped as the biggest badass to come around the pike in awhile. Then, during the moment of his big debut, he made what was probably the most embarrassing entrance of any wrestler in pro wrestling history. And the character became an immediate laughingstock ever since.

"Shockmaster" was actually Norfolk, Virginia native "Uncle" Fred Ottman. During the discussion panel, Dusty Rhodes reminisces about the incident from behind the scenes, and how hard it was for he and Sting and Harlem Heat to keep from breaking character and roaring with laughter. It's pretty damn funny.



By the way, I met those two extremely tall black guys, known at the time as "Harlem Heat", back when they paid a visit to Ticketmaster when I worked there around 1998 or so. I got them to autograph a promo glossy for Joe. I think my head came up to both of their bosoms. Ah do declare... such, such LARGE gentlemen! (fans self)

2 Comments:

Blogger MostPeopleAreBlank said...

I absolutely cannot take my eyes off of the Shockmaster's chest when the loose glitter from his helmet gets all over it during his grand entrance! Or Perhaps wrestlers were just taking style tips from strippers back in the day!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

You can tell some 6-year-old probably made that for his wrestler dad in his kindergarten art class. Elmers glue and glitter!

My friend pointed out the part in the background where you can hear some bumpkin go "Look at the SIZE of 'im!" I can't tell who it is that says that but that's all I can hear now and it absolutely slays me!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home