Thursday, September 10, 2009

There She Goes Again...

The Friday Thursday Five:

(last week's Friday Five was posted several days late)


1. What story did you love reading, as a child?
Marigold And The Dragon by Fred Crump. I never owned it but I used to check it out of the children's section of the Great Bridge Library almost every month, to where my name was the only one written in that card on the back cover for almost a year. I would love to find a copy again, with the original artwork. Or what the artwork was for that edition. They had it re-illustrated in the 80's to make Marigold an African-American girl, but I think even that version is out of print as well.

2. What remains to be your all-time favorite book?
Probably a tie between Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale, which I read at age sixteen and loved so much I vowed never to read it again for fear that I might not experience the magic of it the same way twice -- and A Confederacy of Dunces, which I read in my early twenties and can still pull off the shelf and laugh like a drain every single time.

3. What book do you usually recommend to people?
I went through a phase where I would buy used paperbacks of Winter's Tale at thrift stores and leave them in public places hoping someone would take it home with them, but I haven't done that in over fifteen years. Other than that it always depends on what that person may be into. I recently recommended the Sweet Valley High series to a young teen girl because I got the feeling she might really dig them.

4. If you were a character in a book, who would you be?
Used to be Zaphod Beeblebrox ages ago. These days I couldn't tell ya.

5. If you could write a book, what would it be about?
I have written a book! And illustrated it. At age eight. Phil The Fawn. Alas, I never could get a publisher. But I think the original is still in my parents' attic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home