Friday, June 30, 2006

Spectator Sports

The Friday Five:

1.) What fandom do you center on most?
I don't really follow any fandom anymore. Not like I did in a big way at any point, really, but about 10 years ago I was heavily into Star Trek and reading some of the more well-written fan fiction on the web.

2.) Do you contribute to it much (write fanfiction, draw fanart, participate in online communities and discussions)?
Never really contributed anything, either. A fandom "leech", really. Actually I never thought my writing was good enough so most of the writing I did was in private and maybe shown in total to one, two people at the most. One of them probably being my imaginary friend, Anubis The Infidel.

3.) Do you think that such things are good or harmful to the fandom and why?
I generally believe that things in and of themselves are not harmful unless the person wielding them intends to do harm. Sure there are a couple of tinhats in the fringes (Fandom_Wank, anyone?) but I've found that most people in fandom are mostly just out to enjoy themselves and I see nothing wrong with that.

4.) Do you think its good or harmful for the original creator?
As long as nobody's making any money off their work and basically giving credit where credit is due, I don't necessary see any harm to it. I'd be personally flattered that my own creativity sparked another whole network of creativity in thousands of other people, most of whom are doubtlessly more talented than myself anyway and could go to new and different places with it. Of course I suppose it depends on the initial intent of the original creator. I remember the Viacom vampires trying to shut down every last Star Trek fan page on the net back in the 90's, but I don't consider them the creators anyway, and Roddenberry, y'know... dead and all.

5.) Why do you like this fandom in particular?
Been a bit of a Star Trek dweeb since I was a tyke. Got very hard core into Deep Space Nine during it's initial air. Oh, and I had this delirious, achingly raging hard-on for Q. TMI? Que bueno.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home