Friday, November 30, 2007

Marimba Eroica

My pal Steve Dollar's article on the Japan Society's upcoming restaging of Harry Partch's "Delusion of the Fury" next week in NYC.

What an endeavor! This piece hasn't been performed live since it's one time in 1969, due largely to the awkwardness of moving around the enormous, heavy, unwieldy instruments that he invented, not to mention the time-consuming process of rehearsal time and coordination it takes to learn how to play them. And there's just no way I could make it up to New York to see this, which I imagine must be sold out by now. Yeah, some days it just doesn't pay to live where I am. Some days more than others.

Check out part one of Partch's "Delusion Of The Fury" performance, including an introduction to his exotic array of bizarre instruments with their beautiful, evocative names. For the other parts, as well as more Harry Partch information, click here for more youtubery goodness:



If you're up that way next week, go see. And report back here to me. Go, my minions! Fly! FLY!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my, I love the marimbas! Thanks for the links. :)

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home