Sunday, June 18, 2006

Electra Woman

It's Father's Day. And you know what that means. Time to empty out Melissa's hold bin at work. Oh, and get my dad a super-duper ultra-boss Father's Day giftie. Well at least I think it's super-duper. Witness the purchasing of the ginormous John Wayne John Ford Film Collection box set, beotches:

Eight John Ford directed features starring John Wayne, including the DVD debut of three movies, Fort Apache, The Wings Of Eagles, and The Long Voyage Home. Also features 3 Godfathers, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, and They Were Expendable, as well as a newly remastered copy of the magnificent Stagecoach and what looks to be a 2-disk 50th anniversary collector's edition of The Searchers which also comes with reproductions of the original 1956 Warner Bros. press book as well as the 1956 Dell comic book. It was my father who foisted off his old comics books onto me as a child, giving me his old X-Men and Jonah Hex titles when he was done with them, and even let me read his second-hand issues of Heavy Metal despite how young I was, at least ostensibly to encourage my nascent drawing talents. Although it more than likely helped nurture the little perv inside me that thrives quite happily to this day.

My mother may have wanted me to be educated, but it was my father that insisted that I be cultured. He took me on his travels across country and overseas to help broaden my horizons. He bought be books on art and mythology, and was primarily instrumental in introducing me to the passions of music by sneaking into my room at night and putting new records by some musician or band that I had never heard of before next to my bed while I slept so that I'd see it first thing in the morning. Saturday morning rituals with my father included record shopping at Peaches and Tracks and Birdland, where I'd stare deep into those strange and bizarre album covers from the 70's hanging on the walls and wonder what every single one of them sounded like. My father taught me to be adventurous. To always take the scenic route, even if it was a longer drive. To sit and look at things for hours so that you learn all you can about it because it's never too late to get to know something or someone intimately. To treat everyone you meet like a family member. And definitely, to love good movies. Which I hope I'm giving back to him with this box set. Unfortunately they just don't manufacture anything in this world that can give back to my dad everything that he's given me throughout my life. I love you, Daddy. xoxoxo

And Happy Father's Day to all my friends who are fathers. May a thousand John Wayne box sets descend upon your homes on this day as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home